In Case of Accident – What Should You Do?
None of us plans on getting into a car or truck accident, but accidents do happen. If you're involved in an auto accident, do you know what to do? Here are a few tips should an accident happen to you.
- Stay calm. It's understandable to be angry, fearful, or scared, but do your best to stay calm. Do not lash out at the other party and do not try to flee. As long as the other party is not threatening bodily harm and you are not in immediate need of emergency medical help, remain at the scene of the accident.
- Call the police. The police will arrive on the scene promptly and can serve as mediators if the situation turns confrontational.
- Exchange information. Write down the license plate number of the other party's car, the other party's driver's license number, the name, address, and phone number of the other party, and the insurance policy information for the other party.
- Write down witness information. If any witnesses were present, write down their names and contact information.
- Do not discuss the facts surrounding the accident with the other parties or even other passengers in your car. Save these discussions for the police, your insurance company, and your car accident attorney.
- Take photos of the accident scene if you have a camera available. These photos could serve as important documentation of your claim.
- Notify your insurance company promptly.
- Get medical attention. Even if you feel fine and appear uninjured, it's smart to seek medical attention as some serious injuries may not be readily apparent.
- Call a Brownsville car accident attorney right away. In Texas, you have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you wait too long and the statute of limitations expires, you may not be able to recover full compensation for your injuries.
Call us today for a free, no obligation car accident consultation.